An American Abroad on Independence Day

"You don't seem American." This is something I hear quite often when I am abroad. Sometimes it's because of my appearance - some of my features help make my nationality ambiguous, and if I don't open my mouth I can blend in in various surroundings. However, sometimes it is because of my character, and this weighs on me. When someone says "Oh, you're American BUT...you're so kind / warm / open / caring..." this breaks my heart. First of all, I am exactly the amount of "kind / caring," etc. that I think everyone should be. Second, why do so many people around the world think that Americans are not all of these things?! What have we done to have left such a bad impression on so many people in this world....?  These comments have been said to me for 15+ years, but in the past few years that they have become extra painful.

Each holiday, social media feeds are usually swamped with well wishes and pictures of celebrations, July 4th included. This year is different. There are some cute pictures of barbecues and babies in red, white, and blue, but there is also silence or dissent. We are still a nation divided, and a wedge seems to drive us further apart every second. Policies and words of our President have not made this easier; arguably, they have spurred and encouraged our division. Hate is rampant and oppression has cast a net over almost every minority group, tormenting humans because of their race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, and much more.

So what is it like to be an American abroad? It is different for every single person. For me, it is beautiful; but sometimes, disturbing and woeful.

In some instances, it has been:
* Finding myself and my passions
* Discovering new cultures, food, places, and people
* Changing and growing

These are the things many people associate with travelling, working, or living abroad.

In other instances, being an American abroad has included: 
* Trying to explain the War on Terror as a 17 year old exchange student
* Watching the 2016 Presidential election results on a plane and crying until I land in East Asia for work
* Turning on the news and flipping through the channels to hear in many different languages that children are being forcibly taken from their families and kept in cages. Despite the language, the cries of the children are daggers in my heart.
* Feeling guilty for being an expat when I could be using my skills at home at a time they are desperately needed to help others
* Realizing the difference between opportunity and priviledge

I am thankful to those who have served. I am grateful for my freedom. I am blessed to have the life I live. And I am proud to be an American. That does not deter from the fact that today I celebrate the ideals of a country I feel is slipping, becoming less democratic, less welcoming, and less free. I celebrate the country I feel we can be, the opportunities we can offer, and The American Dream so many still believe in.

I choose to believe in humanity and all the good that exists in the world. And I believe in the fight for what is right, and that good will prevail. People are standing up for what is right, speaking for and defending those who can't defend themselves, and working to uphold the morals and values our country should stand for.

Happy Independence Day (from Puglia, Italy). Here's to true freedom, equality, and justice. For all.


Comments

Popular Posts