Travel, Because Life is Short...


For the past fifteen years I have travelled quite extensively for work, school, or pleasure. Everywhere I go I meet people who tell me they are jealous of my adventures, say they wish they could travel, or want to know what it’s like. I usually just smile, say I’m lucky, and tell people it is amazing. But honestly, there’s a lot more to it than that. If life offers you the chance to travel, take it. There will always be a reason to stay at home; travel anyway. It will change your life.

There is a never ending list of reasons to travel that are constantly running through my mind, here are my top 10:

v  Travelling changes your perspective of the world and of life. Somehow, the more you learn, the less you know. Travelling changes how you see the world, and how you fit in it. It changes how you relate to and approach others, and shapes your worldview.

v  You’ll learn empathy and compassion. You’ll see things you’d never have imagined – true poverty, death, injustice. Your heart will break as you discover the cruelty that exists in the world. Empathize with those less fortunate, be compassionate towards others, realize we are all equal, and work to change the world and make it a better place.

v  Independence and self-discovery. I highly recommend travelling with friends but also travelling alone. Travel will test any relationship, but it will also make it stronger and you’ll have memories that no one else can relate to. With solo travel, there are times when you will feel completely lost, and that is the best time to find yourself. Listen to your thoughts, do what you want, and learn what makes you happy.

v  You’ll learn life Skills. It’s a different (and at times more useful) kind of education. You learn budgeting (trust me, there is an adventure for every budget, and sometimes the most budget adventures are the most fun!), planning, organizing, time-management, and so much more. You also have the opportunity to learn a new language, culture, and how to deal with tough people and situations (that you’re bound to encounter). The world is your classroom.

v  It will make you richer. Our generation is crippled by debt, but I truly believe that travel/experience is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer. Breathtaking views, glorious sunsets, and treks through nature can’t be bought.

v  You’ll form new friendships. While you discover how huge the world is, you will also realize how much of a difference one person can make in your life. Sometimes travelling is lonely, but you find yourself and others along the way. In the beginning, loneliness may be one of the hardest things to deal with and a hug or a smile will seem like a godsend. But trust me, it will get better. In my travels I have met some incredible people, and I have also learned just how brutal the pain of goodbye can be. You are bound to meet people and wonder how you ever lived life without them. No matter how hard saying goodbye or not living near friends is, each person I have formed a relationship with in my travels has truly had an impact on my life.

v  Because no matter what, you should live life with no regrets. You probably won’t regret not taking that job or not going to school at that specific point in time...but you will regret not travelling. You should absolutely travel when you’re young... travelling opens new doors – for jobs, friends, and interests. It can help you decide what you want in life, it’s easier to explain a gap in school or work, and it can be seen as a positive learning experience. The younger you are, the more you have time, freedom, and health on your side. Buuuut you should also travel even if you’re not so young! Traveling is different in every stage of life but at any age you can learn a new lesson or two. No matter your age, travel; people make it work all the time, even with children, a mortgage, and work commitments. There’s a trip or life for every person, despite age, budget, or other life circumstances. Just go.

v  You’ll discover a new range of emotions. You’ll cry (from sadness, exhaustion, frustration), you’ll laugh, and you’ll learn to love more deeply than you ever imagined. You might just realize you are right where should be in that moment, and you will discover what it means to be completely happy.

v  You’ll appreciate more. You will see things that will tear you apart inside and make you realize that life isn’t fair. You’ll be challenged in ways you didn’t know were possible. And you’ll learn to appreciate what and who you have and how you can make a small difference in this world. You’ll also learn to appreciate the little things in life. And you’ll learn to appreciate time. There will be days when the minutes seem like hours and other days when the hours seem like minutes. Savor all of it.

v  You’ll always find your way back home. Though you might find that “home” holds a new definition. While adjusting to a new culture is hard, sometimes it is harder adjusting to the life you once knew. You may find that the only thing that has drastically changed is you – you’ve seen things you never imagined existed and felt things you never knew were possible. And sometimes it is hard to describe to family and friends how life in another part of the world can be. For me, home has become a feeling and I find home in the people I meet and come to love.

There are times when I think back on memories, and some of the best experiences of my life happened while I was travelling. It’s bittersweet to think of times that once were, and of the person I once was, and to know that I can’t share or truly explain those experiences to others. But they have made me who I am. The experience will be different for everyone, depending on your background, age, location, amount of time in a country, who you travel with, among other things, but I guarantee it will change you. Travel now, because later may never come.

Comments

Popular Posts